Dear Universities: Students pen their own versions of acceptance and rejection letters to colleges

Every year schools recieve thousands of applications from hopeful students who anticipate good news about their acceptances. While some of these students’ post-secondary dreams come true, many dreams are dashed. Two students have quite a few words for their dream schools.

by Chrystal Nwaogu, Senior Editor

Accepted

Dear Oglethorpe University,

Being accepted was the most amazing feeling of accomplishment I have ever felt in a while. Oglethorpe has been my dream school ever since sophomore year. Even though many people do not know about this small school hidden in the suburbs of Atlanta, it has more to offer than most people can tell by just looking at it. My first campus tour was when I realized that this school was a perfect fit for me. With its small class sizes and one-on-one student-teacher interaction, this school seemed like the best place for me to spend the next four years of my life. When it came time to apply I was not sure if my academic scores fit their criteria; but by the grace of God, I decided to apply despite all obstacles and hoped for the best. When I received my acceptance letter all the work that I had put into my school work over the past four years suddenly seemed to pay off. Along with the acceptance to the school I also received a scholarship that would pay for more than half of my tuition. I am thankful for all the teachers that have gotten me to where I am today, but most of all I am proud of myself for never giving up during the hard times. I am excited to see what the future holds for me at Oglethorpe.

Sincerely, Natalia Pierre-Paul

Rejected

Dear Vanderbilt University,

Throughout my college process I felt fairly confident that I would be accepted to most if not all of the places I applied to. Vanderbilt was my first choice and had been my first choice since sophomore year. It had everything I wanted and is close to home but out of Georgia. However, when I visited for the first time I did not have that feeling I thought I would, but nevertheless I loved the campus and it fit into my ideal image of a college campus. But, I ignored that uneasy feeling and kept Vanderbilt University as my number one choice. Prior to hearing back from Vanderbilt I had already received acceptances from both Xavier and Hampton University, and exactly one day before I was accepted by Emory University. So when I checked my notice online and found out that I was denied I was not upset, but rather shocked. I was stunned and found myself asking why I was denied. The conclusion I came to was simply that Vanderbilt University was not for me, and that was okay because at the end of the day I still had choices. I can honestly say that I am not upset about being denied because sometimes certain doors have to close in order to lead you to the door that was purposed for you.

Sincerely, Janeil Savage