To love or To be loved

by Jedidah Taylor, Managing Editor

As a whole in society  we take the phrase “I love you” lightly.

Lisa Kogan was told by a publicist that she loved her and without thinking about it, she replied “I love you too.”

After the words had already escaped from her mouth, she automatically wished she could take it back.

As kids, people aren’t usually told that they’re loved by anyone other than family members. It seems as if the older a person gets, the more they desire to love and be loved.

“I don’t mean to suggest that we should line the borders of our personal space with razor wire, I just want my podiatrist to quit hugging me hello,” Lisa said.

It seems as if too many people take greetings to the extreme in ways that others might not feel as comfortable and without their consent. Hugging rather than formal handshake, or “I love you” versus “have a nice night” could really disturb a person who has limited comfort zone.

After many encounters of boundaries being crossed in every way possible, Lisa decided to set some ground rules in order to keep her business, her business.

In my eyes, it isn’t people being too “touchy” or “lovey-dovey” too soon. The problem lies with not wanting to make real connection and develop relationships with one another, then becoming offended when someone reaches out — to feel needed and show desire is only human nature. So instead of taking “I love you” lightly stop taking being loved lightly.