Classifying religions

by Lindsey Camp, web designer

No matter what religion you decide to follow, you should still be open to learning about the different religions and beliefs. In all religions, there is either one or more deities that you pray to and worship.

Polytheism is the worship or belief in multiple deities usually assembled into a pantheon of gods and goddesses, along with their own religions and rituals. For example, Hinduism uses gods like Shiva, Vishnu, Shakti, Ganesha (the elephant god) and Surya (the sun god) among other gods and goddesses who they worship.

In contrast, monotheism is the belief in a single all-powerful god. Christianity, muslim and Judaism are all very common known religions that practice monotheism. Islamic people obey and worship Allah, which is their God. Christians believe that it is a sin to worship more than one god and that you should only worship and honor Jesus Christ.

Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection in the existence of deities. Basically, atheists don’t believe in any higher power or force. However, atheists are different from having apathy for religion. Apathy is the belief in a higher power, but without any interest or concern on the knowledge of which god to believe in.Another term similar to that one is agnostic a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.