Seniors and juniors approaching the end of high school begin to grow apart

by Tianna Smith, Publicist

Growing apart is common when maturing and moving through different stages in life. The chances of your best friend now being your best friend in 10 or 20 years is slim.

Not because some awful thing happened that broke the friendship, but because at some point, either one or both of you realize that you should go separate ways and give each other space. I have friends now who I adore, but when it’s time for me to live my own life and take control of my future, I won’t have time to party and go out every weekend.

Being similar in our tastes, My friends and I agreed that although we won’t be attached at the hip, checking in every now and then is something that should be done.

The outlandish assumption that a true friend must be constantly attached at your hip and know all of your business is untrue. Today’s generation mistakenly defines friendship as being based on how much time you spend with another person.

The phrase growing apart isn’t meant to be one of negative connotation, but one of realization in the reality of becoming adults and not being able to do all the things we do now in high school.

Twenty years from now, none of my friends will talk to me or see me every single day and that’s okay. I know the extent of a true friendship isn’t  based on how many weekly hours we rack up, but the depth of our bond and how much we truly care for each other.