Junior expresses how his relationships with recruiters and coaches help him choose school: Tyler Smith

by Tianna Smith, Publicist

Since he was young, it was apparent to the people around him that Tyler Smith was destined for greatness. Growing up in Powder Springs, Ga., the now 18-year-old wide receiver has made a decision that will guide the rest of his life. For most high school football players, the choice to commit to a college is  not only based on which school offers the best benefits, but also what the player personally prefers and their relationships with the coaches and recruiters as well.

“The recruiters are what get you to the coaches you’ll be spending your college career with,” Smith said.

When colleges look for players they want, they are willing to get close with the players to give their school a better chance at being picked. Each college that was interested in Smith made sure he would feel comfortable at their school, but North Carolina had something about them that was more appealing to Smith.

“I felt like home with North Carolina. I don’t see the recruiters as just recruiters, or the coaches as just coaches,” Smith said. “I see them as friends and people I’d be happy to spend the next four years with,” 

Building relationships with players as individuals rather than just players makes them feel much more comfortable and welcome when going to a school. They feel as though their purpose there as individuals is just as important as their purpose as a member of the school’s sports team. There is no need for Smith to wonder “what are we” because the school and future student relationship is one that can’t be broken.

Tyler Smith committed to the University of North Carolina on Nov. 7.