Blame for typical hair standards

by Felicha Laforest, Assistant Editor

Angolan Model, Maria Borges, decided that for her third appearance in the Victoria’s Secret show she was going to do something different from the usual image typical Angels uphold. Victoria Secret models normally where their hair in a fierce flowing beach look, Borges asked her agent if she could where her hair natural instead. Shockingly her agent allowed it.

Before showcasing her hair Borges was nervous. After showcasing her hair in its natural state, Borges decided to let girls of all hair types know that it is okay to be natural, and embracing it is the best way to show the true beauty natural hair holds.

Who is to blame for the fear inflicted on women wanting to go natural with their hair?

Each individual set on the Earth is influenced by media, family, and society. These three factors are all key parts to the place natural hair has in the world. Media is everywhere, it broadcasts an image of beauty that each person is to be and what they should be. Family are the people who instill values onto you based on what they have taken from personal backgrounds. Society has rules and moral values in which most follow.

For centuries each factor has belittled natural hair to be “unprofessional, dirty, nappy, and ugly.” These influences are to blame for the fear inflicted on women wanting to go natural.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/12/living/maria-borges-victorias-secret-natural-hair-feat/index.html