‘The Wiz’ Is an all black cast in 2015 absurd?

by Jedidah Taylor, Managing Editor

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is a far-famed movie and Broadway play which features an all white cast in  honor of the classic was adapted into the The Wiz by Charlie F. Brown in 1974 as a play and later produced into a movie in 1978, but the twist away from the classic was its all black cast.The all black design was intended to celebrate the super soulfulness of black cultural, and to provide black actors with the same opportunity to showcase their talent. The movie featured iconic stars of the black community such as Michael Jackson and Diana Ross. The movie is a classic in many black homes across America and the received seven Tony Awards and a Best Musical Award.

On December 3, 2015, a revival of The Wiz aired live on NBC, staying true to its original intended design with an all-black cast. Media is in an uproar –pointing fingers to the play for claims of racism.

“Minorities act like they’re the victims, but could imagine if we made an all white version of The Wiz,” a tweet which went viral read.

This single tweet sums up the whole upheaval the play has caused: idiocy and ignorance. On the surface, the whole purpose of the play was to provide black actors with the same opportunity of white Americans who spotlighted in The Wonderful Wizard of Oz from 1902 to 1985 and still partake in remakes to this day, so yes,  the world can imagine an all white version of The Wiz. Furthermore, a statement such as “Minorities act like they’re the victims” is absurd on its own due to the simple fact of the meaning of the word minority. Minority pertains to the people in a civilization who most commonly have less influence, power, wealth, and opportunity then the average civilian. So in fact, minorities are the victims of the society they live in, and have to work substantially harder or create their own works to gain recognition. For goodness sakes, it’s 2016 and we still have a whole lot of “first” for minorities taking place; from the first black president, Barack Obama, to the first Latino to win a Golden Globe Award, America Ferrera.

All in all, there is a difference between discriminating, uplifting, and celebrating under recognized people and cultures through providing them with opportunities. If the people complaining were truly in support of anti-discrimination, they would recognize and support the hard work that was involved in producing such a play. What’s next, are minorities going to be condemned for minority-only scholarships that showcase their talents and help their future?