Strobing in France

by Briana Clinkscales, Staff Writer

All around the world, beauty is defined as something different. No matter a person’s shape, size, height, complexion, race, or ethnicity they will always be branded as beautiful or beastly depending on where in the world they travel.                                                                                                                                                                 

Since the late 90s, a makeup technique called strobing has been recognized from runways around the world to the covers of magazines. The look originated from France where the women decide to anti-contour, meaning they don’t believe in sculpting facial features such as their noses, temples, and cheekbones using makeup to make those areas appear slimmer. Strobing recently became a trend and is known as the hottest new makeup technique that everyone must try.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Opposed to contouring , the goal of strobing is to achieve youthful, healthier-looking skin. You achieve this look by using high planes and points of the face that catch light to create spotlit areas which gives the face a natural-looking glow. Contouring was already an advanced technique to master, so it makes more sense to accomplish strobing, an easy, natural, no-makeupmakeup look.                                                                                                                          

Before you begin strobing, cleanse and exfoliate your skin and apply a face moisturizer. If you want to achieve more dewy skin, mix your moisturizer with a BB Cream. Foundation is optional in this case, but a BB Cream will give you a smoother finish for this look versus using foundation. After you’ve applied your BB Cream, next is concealer. Highlight your under-eyes, chin, t-zone, down the bridge of your nose, and your cupid’s bow, as you would do if you were contouring. Next, highlight in those same areas with a highlighter right on top of your concealer. Continue by highlighting your forehead, temples, and your brow bone as well. If you are a darker skin tone, use a bronzer to highlight. I know that adding a highlight to your forehead might sound a little absurd for oily skin types because you don’t want to look like you’re ready to fry chicken on your forehead, but with strobing, it’s all about making your skin glow and shimmer. Next you’re going to add a little bit of your highlighter to the inner-corners of your eyes just to give your makeup look that extra glam. The last step of strobing is to set your makeup with a setting spray so that it stays all day. You’ve officially been strobed.