Carnival in Rio

by Briana Clinkscales, Staff Writer

Universal allurement is what the world desires, is preparing for, and will never forget once it surfaces.

Carnival is a world famous festival held before Lent every year considered the biggest party in the world with two million people per day on the streets. The first festivals of Rio have been traced back to 1723. This festival is remembered by many people due to its enormous floats, revealers, and adornments from numerous samba schools located in Rio. The “comissão de frente” introduces the school and sets the mood and style of their presentation. These people have choreographed dances in fancy costumes that usually tell a short story. These dancers are clothed in costumes and makeup usually related to the theme of their presentation. This look can be spotted on a Carnival stage, or worn as an exotic runway look. Performing or a night out in the city, this makeup look can be worn for many occasions.

Makeup in this case is all about drawing all attention to the eyes, so to achieve this look, first start out with clean, hydrated skin, like always, then prime your face with a face primer and eyelids with an eye shadow primer so the makeup glides onto your skin and stays on for as long as you need it to. Next highlight your brow bone to make your eye makeup pop. Apply a lime green eye shadow to the inner corners of your eyes, then take a blending brush and apply a light blue in the center of your crease, then blend the colors together so there’s no harsh lines. Then take a purple eye shadow and apply it to the outer corners or your eyes; start with a little bit of product and keep packing on until you get your desired intensity, then blend. Next, take the same light blue color and apply it all over the lid. Take a pencil brush and re-apply the purple shadow to the outer corner again so the blue doesn’t overpower the purple pigment, then take a blending brush and lightly stipple and sweep the purple outward to blend. Then take a makeup remover wipe and remove any fallout eye shadow from your lower lash line. Next, take a black eyeliner and line your waterline, then apply your eye shadow primer to your lower lash line. Apply a bright yellow eye shadow to your lower inner corner and blend with the green on your upper inner corner. Next, take an orange shadow and apply it right next to the yellow on your lower lash line, then take a hot pink eye shadow and apply it next to the orange. Next you’re going to use a small angle brush and apply a small amount of black eye shadow to your lower outer corner. Then use either a liquid or gel eyeliner and create a skinny wing with it and keep it as close to your lash line as possible. Next, apply your choice of false lashes, and lastly, take a green, light blue, and purple glitter liner and apply the separate colors to the designated spot on the upper lash line, right above the black liner, where the same colored eye shadow is. And you’re finally complete with this look!

Ready to perform on a stage in Rio or a night in the city, you’ll be sure to catch everyone’s attention with this makeup look.