Remember the ’90s lips

by Briana Clinkscales, Editor

Everyone loves the ‘90s era: the music, pop culture and, of course, the makeup. 

Even though in the ‘90s a brown lip was an easy, everyday go-to lip that anyone could pull off, as vibrant lip pigments began to trend, cosmetic companies discontinued these beloved browns. ‘90s icon, Tyra Banks, helped spicy brown lips become a look all the girls wanted to try. More recently, celebrity Kylie Jenner has contributed to the resurfacing of the brown lip trend.

There are different brands and shades of browns to correspond with every skin tone, so I’m going to list a few of my favorites.  

Celebs and models practically passed around the same shade of deep brown lipstick for the entire decade. Cater browns to your liking and your skin tone. If you want more of a bold, vampy-look, try Loaded from the Full Throttle lipstick collection by NYX or LAX by ColourPop. For a natural but visible lip, try Ruby Kisses matte lipstick in the color Brown Sugar. Lastly, for a nude-brown color, either Absolute New York’s matte stick in the color Brown, or Beauty Mark by NYX from their Lip Lingerie collection. All of these shades are designed for every skin tone, and take a trip down memory lane to the ‘90s where they first made their debut.