The science behind the Sun’s heat

by Alexis Moreno, Staff Writer

Without the sun to heat, our planet life would be very different.  According to earthsky.org, we wouldn’t even notice the sun left for about eight and a half minutes, then horrifyingly the earth would fall into an eternal darkness.

The sun is very important to our planet: it feeds our plants through photosynthesis, as well as gives humans warmth and vitamin D.

This topic is interesting, especially in the sense that this could happen in my children’s lifetime, or in mine for that matter, considering that the sun is an unpredictable mass of fire which releases solar flares everyday.

According to phys.org, the sun won’t die for another 5 billion years, however that doesn’t stop sceptics from creating conspiracies.

Some say that the sun in its 11th year cycle is the beginning of the end, in which they warn us. Granted, there isn’t much we can do if this tragedy were to occur.

Without the sun to provide food with plants, all greenery would be gone and the earth would be left dry, barren, and cold.

However, not all life on earth would cease.According to science teacher Gretchen Davis, Sulfur eating bacteria called Purple sulfur bacteria thrives in areas without oxygen like the bottom of the ocean where sulfur heavily produced by submarine volcanoes or little vents in the Earth’s crust.

Without the sun to warm the Earth, clouds wouldn’t form either. Clouds are a part of the water cycle, in which the sun is a big part of.

Maybe, by the time the sun implodes technology will become more advanced, saving the human culture we have built up over the many years.