Lessons high school students learn too late

photo by ayeilie Mel

photo by ayeilie Mel

Try something you normally wouldn’t.

Too often, adolescents stick to what is most convenient for their age group. It can be helpful to do what you are best at. Nonetheless, trying something you normally wouldn’t could be to your benefit. Start small, try a different lunch line, a different route to class, wear that color you dread, it may look great on you. Join a club, a sport, go to a band concert, a game. Trying different things allows you to truly get to know yourself; knowing what you don’t like is knowing what you do like. Forbid yourself from getting older and having regrets, think differently.

Organization

Find a way to become more organized and stick to it. Organized students are successful students. Organization aids you in abounding ways. You stay on top of grades because you didn’t lose that project, or forget about that meeting. When organized distractions are limited and time is well managed. Organization also prepares for the real world where you’re required to keep order. According to academicachievers.com “Studies show there is a direct correlation between academic achievement and organizational skills. Yet organization and planning ahead are learned skills. Therefore, for your child to become more organized, your student must develop a plan and practice it.”

You will be accountable for your actions.

During high school years pupils begin to build habits, both good and bad. One of these poor habits include making up excuses and blaming others for their personal problems. Taking accountability is not amusing, but it lends a helping hand in learning responsibility. Responsibility is critical as you transition from an immature teenager to young adult. As you age, you will no longer have older authority figures or friends reaching out to you, making sure you are doing your work. Soon you will be making your own choices and learning from them. You will no longer be viewed as a child; better to form good habits now.

Clear social media platforms

This is the age of technology. Technology is used for everything. Social media has been an impairment to students. They most of the time online and do not always realize the toll it has on their future. Once you post something, it is forever present in time even after you deleted. Have you ever tried to google your name? Even if you did not post something but simply liked it, or tagged with it you are forever associated with it.

“As long as social media is used to inform about important events, or if it benefits the student. Usually when I see students use social media it is to hurt, bully, or deface others. I would advise students to go about it the right way and stray away from the unnecessary,” said administrator Ms. Rich.

Apologize for wrongdoing.

I don’t think students apologize as much necessarily, it more of ‘hey, are we okay or ‘are we okay’ said spanish teacher Mrs. Padilla. Amid the teenage years, teens tend to think they are always right, and saying a simple ‘I’m sorry’ can be extremely difficult. This could be because they’re too ashamed, too embarrassed, too hurt, or too angry. Yet apologizing can save relationships and make you feel much better. The key is to say sorry sooner rather than later, even when you are not 100 percent in the wrong, and be sincere. Never apologize for your beliefs, or for not meeting expectations others put that are too high to reach.

It is okay to not know exactly who want to be, make a plan.

Most, if not all, young adults have been asked who they want to be when they get older, and  what they would like to do. This has caused some students to feel disappointed in themselves because they weren’t quite sure. However, these questions are simply conversation started. A way to get students thinking and engaged in their future. “I do believe that it is okay for students to not know ‘exactly’ what they would like to do.  While I believe this, I do think that students should have a general area of interest to begin the exploration process…If that student does not work the plan, it is of no effect or added value to the student…Even if they have a plan, the more information that they receive, the more they go back and evaluate their plan.” Said school counselor Reginald Hurns.

Stand up for yourself

In these last couple of years pop star Miley Cyrus received a lot of criticism, especially from the youth. Many teens had grown up to her show “Hannah Montana” and looked to her as a positive role model. When Miley changed her walk and talk not many embraced it. She simply responded by saying “There are multiple sides to all of us. Who we are, and who we might be if we follow our dreams.” At one point in time people may judge you due to your sex, race/ethnicity, sexuality, height, weight, and so on. When that time comes learn to stand up for yourself. Don’t be aggressive but be assertive let others know your desires and needs.

Friendships don’t always last.

High school is a place of constant adjustments. Adjusting to your new lunch, your new teacher, your new classes. No matter what grade level you are currently in, change is inevitable. One of the most evident changes highschool students face is their group of friends. Everyone believes that they will keep the same group of friends they previously had and some are lucky enough to do so. As you get older however you are going to meet new people you just click with, you may grow apart from someone you were once close to. And that’s okay.

Get to know your peers

“Storm was a really nice, down to earth girl, and it’s crazy to me how someone can be here today, and gone tomorrow. I wish I could have gotten to know her better.” said junior Destiny Hodges. Storm James, was a student who passed away last year. A lot of students feel disappointment when they this way.