Counseling department hosts second Lunch and Learn of the school year

Relaying Information - Guidance Counselor Melissa Lynch informs Lunch and Learn atterndees of the proper way to calculate GPA on Wednesday, Jan. 25. The couseling department hosted this event, the second Lunch and Learn of the year, to inform students of the different types of GPA, how to calcuate them, and make them aware of the importance of performing well in their academic classes.

photo by Jarah Cotton

photo by Jarah Cotton

by Jarah Cotton, Staff Writer

On Jan. 25, the counseling department hosted their second Lunch and Learn session of the school year.

Lunch and Learn is an event the counseling department holds multiple times a year to provide students with an opportunity to learn relevant information regarding their academic careers. Counselors publicize the topic set to be discussed in any particular session, and only require that students sign up to reserve one of the limited number of spots in order to participate.

“Lunch and Learns give our students an opportunity to go hear pertinent information during the school day,” principal Regina Montgomery said. “It gives those unable to come after school a chance to get the information that they need.”

Discussions at the most recent Lunch and Learn session were centered around grade point averages (GPA). Students were taught about the importance of these values, what courses were included in the different types of GPAs, and how to calculate their own.

“The goal is to educate students about the importance of the core GPA and how to calculate it before it’s too late,” counselor Ayesha Fawzi said.

Lunch and Learn provides students with an overview of important information, and is primarily geared towards exposing students to the subtopics they need to be made aware of.  

The counseling team presents a steady flow of information during a 30-minute timespan, while making sure that participants know that they can always set up appointments with their counselors for further clarification.

It is crucial that students are aware of this information as they plan future class schedules. They cannot adequately prepare themselves for college or prepare themselves to apply for the colleges of their choice if they are left unaware.  

“We want them to make informed decisions when it comes to their academics,” Fawzi said, “They need to know that the extra point you earn by taking AP classes makes you look better to colleges, or whatever you plan to do after high school.”

The counselor’s desired effect took hold, as attendees left the event more knowledgeable about the calculation and importance of the different types of GPAs.

“I am now more aware of my grades, and will know when I need to work harder and smarter to preserve my GPA,” freshman Rian Hassen said.

The next Lunch and Learn session will be designed to inform students of their military options after high school, followed by one tailored towards informing about technical college options, and the topic of the last session will be athletic eligibility. All dates are to be determined.

For more information, visit the counseling office in the Business Technology building.