A Workaholic’s Gear

by Andrew Okwuosah, Digital Editor

The gear you use says an awful lot about who you are. For this workaholic, it takes a lot of battle-tested and reliable gear to stay productive. Here’s a rundown of what I use:

HP 15 Notebook PC

photo by Andrew Okwuosah

My trusty red HP laptop has been with me in some form for the last two and a half years. Despite my repeated clumsiness and border-line recklessness, these plastic tanks somehow never fail to get the job done. They’re not the most expensive or powerful things in the world, but they can sure handle my combination of constant school tasks, maintaining this site, video editing, and gaming.

To make my machine stand out aside from its red paint job, I’ve added some stickers (GameChops logo over the HP logo, 2ToneDisco on the corner, and CollegeInfoGeek on the right palm rest.

Top Apps (Windows):

Sony MDR-XB450 Extra Bass headphones

photo by Andrew Okwuosah

Over the past year or so, I’ve had four pairs of Sony headphones (these ones) and I have been blown away with the sound quality that came out of those $20 cans. So much so that when the time came to upgrade, my only issue was deciding whether I wanted a wire. I ultimately went with these wired headphones because Delta’s in-flight entertainment system has no Bluetooth support, Bluetooth gives you lower audio quality, and I don’t want to be caught not being able to enjoy Central Intelligence in all its glorious sound with Delta Studio.

Why not earbuds? Well, they’re the most painful thing you can put in your ears and no matter what you do, they can’t stay in place. Plus, headphones give you better sound.

LG G Vista

photo by Andrew Okwuosah

This is a hand-me-down from my dad, but I love it all the same. I originally got the G Vista after an incident involving a swimming pool (I’ll let your minds wander on that one), and the device’s 5.7-inch display is a huge (no pun intended) draw for me. Being able to use a big screen for multi-window is incredible, and I can’t imagine what my life would be without it. Honestly, I can’t imagine using a phone with a screen that’s not close to this size again.

Top Apps (Android):

Amazon Kindle 7th Gen

My seventh generation Kindle (newest model here) has been with me for over two years now and I love it every single day. The battery life is amazing (a whopping 4-6 weeks at least) and it really taps into the soft spot I have for Amazon and our shared hometown of Seattle (Fun fact: I named it Everett, after the Seattle suburb that introduced me to this world). I try to read on my commute to/from school (roughly 20 minutes each way) but that depends on whether I’m reading a print book and my general fatigue level (reading doesn’t work for me when I’m tired). Anyways, I wholeheartedly can’t recommend the Kindle ecosystem enough. The built-in integration with Goodreads (an amazing reading-oriented social network owned by Amazon), and the whole idea of having a device dedicated to reading drew me to the device and it’s what keeps my use to this day.

Personally, I would recommend getting the Paperwhite though. It’s a nice step up from the base line model, with a built-in backlight that I can imagine would really come in handy.

When you buy a Kindle, you buy into a philosophy of reading and how important it is; just look at the Kindle Instagram account. As a lifelong reader, that’s something I couldn’t pass up being a part of.

For more Workaholic, follow me around the Interwebs.