The student news site of McEachern High School in Powder Springs, Georgia

The Tribal Times

Microwaves for student use are more beneficial than consequential

photo by pixabay.com

photo by pixabay.com

by Caitlin Whisby, Staff Writer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Providing microwaves for student use would prove to be beneficial to students who bring in lunches from home.

According to an initiative sponsored by Central Care Health, 60 percent of public school students eat the school lunch while the other 40 percent bring a lunch from home. That’s around 20 million students that might need access to a microwave.

Incorporating microwaves into the cafeteria would make it possible for students to bring in meals from home to heat up. Often times students may be have wanted to bring in lunches from home but they weren’t able to because of a personal preference of hot foods.

”I have wanted to bring in food from my house numerous times to eat for lunch but the food I wanted to bring in always needed to be heated up.” sophomore Reglice Nwang said.

While microwaves would be beneficial to bettering the cafeteria there are several issues that could come into play when deciding if microwaves should be utilized in the cafeteria.

The mess. Bringing in microwaves might cause a bit of a mess. Microwaves could be prone to spills and explosions if not monitored closely.

“Microwaves get dirty, what if something overflows, who is going to be responsible for cleaning it up? Let’s face it, students can barely get trash in the trash cans around campus, what makes us think they will clean a microwave?” culinary teacher Katherine Daniel said.

Food allergies. If someone were to microwave a food item that students with food allergies and Education,  approximately three million U.S. citizens have reported allergies to peanuts and tree nuts.

While these two issues may seem like enough to persuade one to be reluctant to adding microwaves to McEachern’s cafeteria, there can be rules and regulations that can hinder them from happening.

If McEachern were to ever add microwaves to the cafeteria it might be helpful if students who wanted to use the microwaves completed a form that required them to fill out any possible food allergies and health issues that could interfere with their usage.

Regarding the potential spills that the microwaves could be subject to, there should always be a faculty member monitoring each microwave to prevent this.

”I think it’s a great idea for McEachern to have microwaves,” assistant principal Brenda Carter said. ”Some students really do want to bring in their lunches but don’t because they don’t have access to microwaves and prefer hot food.”

 

Print Friendly

Leave a Comment

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.




Navigate Right
Navigate Left
  • Microwaves for student use are more beneficial than consequential

    Features

    Identifying the unique plants on campus

  • Microwaves for student use are more beneficial than consequential

    Features

    Science club hosts second annual plant sale

  • Microwaves for student use are more beneficial than consequential

    Academics

    Makerspace makes dreams a reality

  • Microwaves for student use are more beneficial than consequential

    Showcase

    Girls Track team finishes second in invitational meet

  • Microwaves for student use are more beneficial than consequential

    Features

    Varied historical uses result in mixed connotations attached to Confederate flag

  • Microwaves for student use are more beneficial than consequential

    Features

    Tennis team shows determination for success

  • Microwaves for student use are more beneficial than consequential

    Features

    African club educates students about unique heritage

  • Microwaves for student use are more beneficial than consequential

    Arts and Entertainment

    Black History Program showcases student talents

  • Microwaves for student use are more beneficial than consequential

    Showcase

    Student athletes accept offered athletic scholarships

  • Academics

    CFA Leader Academy hosting Career Development Program parent meeting

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial
error: Content is protected !!
The student news site of McEachern High School in Powder Springs, Georgia
Microwaves for student use are more beneficial than consequential