Different cheer squads support various athletic teams

by Logann Houston, Staff Writer

photo by Logann Houston
You see them on the sidelines with pom poms and  short skirts cheering on their team. There are three football and basketball cheer squads and one competition cheer squad. For football there is a freshman, jv and varsity squad, the same applies for basketball. According to JV basketball coach Toni Dickerson having separate teams for almost each grade level allows for the different levels of sports to have their own squad of cheerleaders. Having the different squads ensures that even the freshman football or basketball team will not feel less than by not having cheerleaders to cheer them on on the sidelines. Because there are athletic teams for those level of sports the cheerleaders are there to support those athletes.

Tryouts for the different cheer squads are held in mid april every year.Tryouts are a week long clinic where participants are judged on jumps, tumbling,cheer and dance.Coaches score and teams are picked based upon the scores of the cheerleaders.  Cheers are worth ten points, dance is worth ten points, jumps are worth ten, tumbling is worth ten points and stunts are also worth ten points, In all the scores add up to be eighty five. According to Dickerson to be selected for Varsity Football/ Competition squad the coaches pick from the top twenty scores they’ve calculated. Along with yours scores in tryouts you have to get three teacher recommendations from academic teachers. Teacher recommendations are highly considered when picking students for the cheer squads.

This year the cheer organization has made a few changes to their squads and rules. In previous years there were two competition teams one for JV and one for varsity, but because of a shortage of cheerleaders so Varsity Competition Cheer coach Rachel Botkin suggested there be one competition squad and that that squad be combined with the Varsity football cheer squad. According to Botkin this change would make the practice and demand for competition easier on the participants and it would improve performance of the cheerleaders on the sidelines. After discussing this change with the other coaches and Athletic Director Jim Dorsey the change was finalized.

Combining the two teams opened doors for all grade levels. In previous years only rising sophomores, juniors and seniors were eligible to be on the Varsity Football squad now that changes to the team have been made rising freshman are now eligible to be selected for the Varsity Football/Competition team. This is allowed because if a freshman has skills that can be used on the competition squad then that person can be on the Varsity football team as well due to both teams being combined.”The changes are definitely difficult especially on the girls that can’t tumble or have never cheered before because it’s harder to make a squad, Junior(Former varsity football cheerleader) Kassidi Reid said. This can also be  intimidating for rising seniors who have cheer throughout high school when a freshman  with a back hand spring can potentially take the spot of a senior who has no tumbling skills,” Reid said. According Botkin the Making the cheer squad is not all about tumbling but mainly focused on what girls would make up the best competition squad together, so tumbling and stunts are highly considered when choosing this squad.