10 must-see places in Daytona Beach

Year after year, visitors return to Daytona Beach for its ocean views, family-friendly fun, recreational activities and festivals.

The popular destination on Florida’s Atlantic Coast is an affordable option for a beach getaway or a repeat vacation spot for singles and families.

“If you have the desire to go, you can make Daytona Beach work with really any budget,” says Lori Campbell Baker, executive director of Daytona Beach Area Convention & Visitors Bureau. “A lot of our resorts are family-friendly, and have been for generations. People visit and feel like they’re home.”

Planning your vacation is easy with the “My Trip Planner” at DaytonaBeach.com, where you can add activities, restaurants and hotels to your itinerary, then share with friends and family.

Here are some ideas to get you started planning your Daytona Beach vacation.

What to do

Enjoy the fun and sun at the beach or special events in Daytona Beach throughout the year.

1. Festivals: Daytona Beach is the Festival Capital of Florida, and one look at the events calendar clearly illustrates why this title is well deserved.

In addition to cultural, arts, and food festivals, and spectator sports, Daytona Beach will host the Country 500 Great American Music Fest (May 26-28), which will feature top country artists, including Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert.

2. Family activities: When not on the beach, kids and adults will love Daytona Lagoon, featuring a waterpark and a family entertainment center complete with arcade, mini golf, laser tag and go-karts.

At night, the Daytona Beach Bandshell hosts free concerts featuring tribute bands and fireworks from May through September.

3. Golf: With over 20 courses, including two championship courses, an entire vacation can be devoted to working on your game.

4. Hit the water: No beach vacation is complete without water activities, from fishing to kayaking.

“The great thing about Daytona Beach is the amount and variety of the water activities,” said Campbell Baker. “We have gentle waves, so if learning to surf is on your to-do list, we have certified surf instructors available.”

In addition, there’s the Halifax River, part of the Intracoastal Waterway, which is perfect for boating and paddling. The artificial reef system makes for great off-shore fishing and various natural springs, such as Blue Spring State Park, are popular for their natural beauty and wildlife, including manatees.

Where to eat

Scrumptious seafood is a great draw for many of the folks who visit Daytona Beach, and the area is home to a variety of restaurants offering creative food and settings.

5. Dancing Avocado Kitchen: This eclectic spot is a budget-friendly option for a quick breakfast or lunch. Hailed as a hidden gem, with the slogan, “Where herbivore and carnivore eat together in harmony,” the menu caters to a variety of diets and preferences.

110 S. Beach St., Daytona Beach, 386-868-3055

6. 31 Supper Club: This 1930s speakeasy-style restaurant, open Tuesday through Saturday evenings, features signature cocktails inspired by the era. While casual dress is fine for the Havana bar and patio, the dress code for the main dining room ranges from business casual to more formal. Live music accompanies the meal, so wear your dancing shoes.

31 W. Granada Blvd., Ormond Beach, 386-275-1625

7. The Cellar Restaurant: Housed in a former home of President Warren G. Harding, this upscale Italian restaurant sets the scene for romance. It serves dinner Tuesdays through Sunday; reservations and business casual dress are suggested.

Where to stay

Whether you want everything at your fingertips or feel like you’re staying in a home away from home, Daytona Beach has accommodations to fit every need and budget.

8. River Lily Inn Bed & Breakfast: Located on the Halifax River, this inn is a charming option for singles and couples seeking tranquility. A popular venue for smaller weddings, several packages are available. With large windows and verandas overlooking the river, time seems to slow down in this historic home. It’s less than two miles from the Daytona Beach Bandshell’s free weekend concerts and beach access.

558 Riverside Drive, Daytona Beach, 386-253-5002

9. The Shores Resort and Spa: With the Azure restaurant and bar, Indulge boutique shop and Indulge spa on-site, beach access and heated oceanfront pool, there’s hardly a reason to leave the resort. But if you do, the kids club activities and kids night out programs allow mom and dad to take some time to relax.

2637 S. Atlantic Ave., Daytona Beach Shores, 866-934-7467

10. Vacation rentals: If you can’t find a hotel or B&B that works for you, Daytona Beach offers vacation rentals. Prices and sizes vary from condos to single-family houses that sleep over 12 guests. Located on or near the Atlantic Ocean or Halifax River, these homes can provide more privacy while keeping you close to the action.