Faculty members decide not to return for next year

photo by Jarah Cotton
Happy - Long-time secretary Iris Goode smiles as she completes some paperwork. Though she has been working at McEachern for 27 years is now planning to retire, she still enjoys her job.

by Jarah Cotton and Logann Houston

Multiple key faculty members have decided that the 2016-2017 school year will be their last teaching at McEachern.

Some, such as administrator Krystal Wattley and social studies teacher Britt Cottingham, decided to pursue teaching opportunities at other institutions. Though they decided to terminate their employment at McEachern, they maintain that they enjoyed their time teaching here.

“I had always said that after my boys graduated I would begin looking for other opportunities,” Wattley said. “But I was very blessed to be here.I enjoyed every second of it.”

Wattley will be a science teacher at Frederick Douglass High School in Atlanta starting this fall.

Cottingham’s decision was contingent upon his sons as well. Though instead of their graduation having an impact on his decision, it was his sons’ enrollment in another school that was the deciding factor.

“I was lucky enough to have an opportunity to teach at a school with my two boys,” Cottingham said. “I’ve been here 16 years, if my kids weren’t involved I’d definitely still be here.”

Cottingham has accepted a job teaching history at Mount Paran Christian School in Kennesaw.

Other teachers who have decided not to return, have decided to retire. Engineering teacher Paul Eubanks, and school secretary Iris Goode are a few of those who have come to this conclusion, and all of them claim to be happy to have spent their last years in the workforce at McEachern.

Eubanks and Goode have plans to travel after retiring, wanting to take advantage of their remaining years of health. They feel confident that they will return to visit at some point, because of the familial relationships they have forged with other staff members.

“Whenever people leave McEachern they take with them the knowledge that they are part of a family; once an Indian, always an Indian. I am no different,” Goode said.

Physics teacher Dianna Rochleau has decided to return to work as a civics engineer after this school year ends. She says that she always planned to return to the engineering field, but that she also enjoyed teaching.

All of the staff members who will not be returning will be dearly missed, particularly by those whom they impacted most directly. Senior Kyle Rast forged a relationship with both Wattley and Eubanks, and expressed his feelings about their departures.

“Mr. Eubanks gave off the impression that he was both a teacher and a friend,” Rast said. “Ms. Wattley had a similar effect and always seemed as though she was personally invested in students’ success. I am sad to see them go.”

Fellow staff members who worked closely with these people are greatly affected by these career decisions. Secretary Jacqueline Schilling has worked alongside Wattley for many years, and acknowledges that McEachern is losing someone who does a lot to maintain the school’s prestige.

“She does a lot for the community and for the school, and someone is going to have to pick up the slack she is leaving,” Schilling said. “You never really know what people do for you until they’re gone, and we are definitely going to miss Ms. Wattley.”  

In life people take on different task and move around to take on different challenges. At school Many teachers and administrators are leaving school and taking on other task in life. Krystal Wattley, Joshua Ford, Dianna Rochleu, Brad Meyers, and Britt Cottingham are all teachers and administrators who are moving on to different careers.  Support staff member Iris Good and Paul Eubanks are leaving Mceachern and retiring. These transitions to new things can be challenging, according to payscale.com transitioning to a new workplace can easily become an emotional roller coaster. Taking on new responsibilities or switching to a new role can be overwhelming.

Administrator Krystal /wattley is moving on to be a science teacher at Frederick Douglass High School in Atlanta. “I see this as going back to doing something I love which is teacher,” Wattley said. “I see moving to be a teacher opens up doors for me to be able to inspire young students and also mentor other teachers coming into the teaching field.“ According to Wattley the highlight of her time at mceachern is the relationships she has built with faculty and staff.

Moving from a large public school to a small Christian school AP Social Studies teacher Britt Cottingham will be transitioning from Mceachern to Mount Paran Christian school. Cottingham’s two children also attend this school . “I am nervous about leaving because I am going to feel like a first year teacher all over again, Cottingham said.” After teaching at McEachern for sixteen years Cottingham’s highlights of his time is his first AP World History class and his last AP World History class. These two classes are his highlights because the students were his first to ever rake the AP test and it was his first time preparing these group of students for this test. His last class is the last class he has gone through the AP test preparations with which is significant due to Cottingham not knowing for sure if he will teach the same subject at Mount Paran.

Administrator Joshua Ford will move on to being an administrator at Campbell High School. Ford has been an administrator at McEachern since 2013. “In going to Campbell and transitioning to a new environment it’s almost like hitting the restart button,” Ford said. “I will focus on building the school up and building relationships with the different staff members at Campbell.” According to Ford the highlight of his years at McEachern is being the sponsor over the Chick Fil A Leadership Academy and guiding the students apart of the club to expand their talents and success. Ford wants to maintain the relationships that he has built with the staff and the student body at McEachern.

History teacher Tod McMath works with Administrator Joshua Ford with the Chick Fil A Leadership Academy. According to Ford and McMath they built a relationship with one another as colleagues and worked together to improve the school. Ford has helped Mcmath and encouraged him to step out of his comfort zone and continue to built things for the future. “You cannot stay in the same place and get all the experience you need to move on towards certain goals a person may have,” McMath said. “I am excited for Him but I am said that he won’t be here at McEachern anymore.”