Prominent money laundering scheme exposes lack of government vigilance

Back to Article
Back to Article

by Jarah Cotton, Editor

Prominent minority CEO Elvin R. Mitchell Jr. is expected to plead guilty in his role in the widespread money laundering and bribery plot, in which he is accused of paying several government contractors in order to procure deals for his construction business.

Legal experts have explained these allegations, stating that the illegal dealings mostly, but not exclusively, involved contractors affiliated with the municipal government of Atlanta. Mitchell was arraigned on Tues, Jan. 17 on federal bribery and money laundering charges.

He is accused of conspiring with an unnamed individual associated with construction, in order to pay bribes to another individual connected to the city government. This offense has, allegedly, spanned between 2010 and 2015.

The fact that this crime went on for such a long time, and is still, two years later, making grounds on its investigation, speaks to the inefficiency of America’s legal system. In order to prevent widespread government corruption, it is imperative that law enforcement becomes privy to schemes such as this one much more quickly.

The fact that this crime was committed in co-ordinance with government officials makes the entire ordeal more disconcerting. If the government is unable to police those in their own facilities, how can we rely on them to regulate external affairs?

The government needs to do a more complete job of sniffing out those who are doing wrong and endangering others. The longer that crimes are allowed to continue, the more lives are negatively impacted by these offenses.

The fact that such a large scale crime was able to continue under the government’s nose, indicates that officials are nowhere near vigilant enough to thoroughly protect the rights of civilians.