Positive pressure influences athletes

by Kiersten Rueckert, Staff Writer

When people think about peer pressure, the first things that come to mind are drugs, alcohol, and smoking. Rarely do we ever think about the positives.

Peer pressure can not only influence bad things but influence good things as well, such as: doing well in school or in this case sports. According to a survey conducted by Survelum Data Bank, 54 percent of teenagers agree that peer pressure can be positive. Athletes push themselves to be better for their teammates or possibly because the school is counting on them.

At McEachern, students are actively involved in sports, whether they are playing or sitting in the stands cheering their team to victory. But the one thing possibly no one ever thinks about is how the positive peer pressure surrounding the athlete affects their performance.

“It’s the difference in playing a home game and playing away and having a nice crowd,” Varsity Basketball coach Mike Thompson said. “Your student peers that are there rooting for your team seems to elevate the level of play for our guys.”

The peers we surround ourselves with can be the most influential people in our lives.

Administrator Myra Camese is a former basketball coach and she too agrees that fellow classmates’ positivity helps encourage the athletes to improve their performance rather than them being negative.

“They kind of go with the crowd. If the crowd is booing it greatly impacts their ability to play,” Camese said. “Partly I think it’s more so your home fans vs your away fans, I think they are trained to block [away fans’] negativity out.”  

Athletes do not only depend on the fans and coaches that support and teach them, but they also rely heavily on their teammates.

Sophomore David Wilkerson plays for McEachern’s JV and varsity soccer teams and considers his team to be a second family.

“We compete to see who can perform the best and be able to improve so that we are able to outperform another teammate to get playing time,” Wilkerson said. “We are competitive but also encouraging. It’s a balance of individual achievement but also wanting your teammates to be the best so we can win.”

The positivity that surrounds an athlete, creates a domino effect of an overall better athletic performance.