Students that study music tend to have higher test scores than students who don’t

According to a 2012 study by the National Association for Music Education, students who participated in music performed better on the SAT than their peers who didn't.

photo by Andrew Okwuosah

photo by Andrew Okwuosah

by Cameron Sanders, Staff Writer

than Students that study music tend to have higher test scores than students who don’t

Mastering musical instruments allow some students to gain an academic edge over their non-musically inclined peers.

University of Maryland Music Education department assistant professor Kenneth Elpus wrote in the Journal for Research in Music Education that “students who study music tend to be those that outperform others in educational measures.”

After hearing this statement, Fine Arts Administrator Brenda Rich agreed because the skills musicians learn translate to the classroom.

“Music is a comprehension so any course that has to deal with the subject of reading or comprehending helps them succeed because you can’t have a piece of music in front of you if can’t read it,” Rich said.

The music, musicians study and play coordinate with education but what’s the real reason for that?

“Orchestra kids are more focused and willing to achieve more than your average high school student because of the rigor and the difficulty it takes to master these beautiful instruments,” Orchestra director Jennifer Floyd said.

This statement alone shows how the influence of musical study gives the student a greater hunger to succeed educationally then a student who does not. It also shows in SAT scores, According to the National Association for Music Education  students who participated in music scored an average of 31 points above average in reading and 23 points above the average student in math in 2012.

“Music is like a different language, a language you have to master to be good therefore we have to focus more to become better.” wind symphony student Quisqueyana Griffith said.