Technology causes sleep deprivation in teens

by Sharell Minnis, Staff Writer

Studies have shown that technology causes teens to lose sleep. Enough that their lives are negatively effected.

According to the ASPEN Education Group teens tend to become sleep deprived due to the large amounts of time they spend using technology in the hours before they go to sleep. Teachers are disgruntled by the negative effects that this has on students’ performances in their classes, and feel that parents should be just as concerned about the issues with teenage technology usage as they are with the benefits.

“I think that just like everything there are pros and cons for it. Very beneficial for kids in some way, but kids are addicted to their cellphones,” Algebra Teacher Jake Burgdorf said. “Yes I think that they are losing sleep because of their cellphones … if the parents take it away then it would be a lot easier”.

Teachers  feel that teens should learn to add limitations to their technology usage, and use it for good things like research for school work and other informational things.

Christi Osborne said “I’m kind of a techno geek myself, so I love technology, but technology with limits.” Osborne said. She also believes that technology does have goodness to it. “There is a great deal of knowledge and a great deal of opportunity that comes with technology.”

Not all teenagers have struggled with sleeping problems do to technology. Some can actually enjoy it and understand that it can be used for good.

“…it’s a great creation, it has really helped our civilization grow because without we would be like a third world country” Junior Carlous Kelly said. He also mentions how he likes to use the calculator that is provided on his cellphone to help him to solve math problems. For this teen sleeping is never a problem for him. “Technology never causes a problem with my sleeping. I stay on the phone for a good hour or two and then I fall asleep” Kelly said.

Some teens have even been agreeing with the studies and the adults and want technology to be limited to everyone, because of the way it is also limiting human interaction with others.

Some teens have been opposing technology use and think that it is a bad thing. Senior Karina Trevino expressed just how she felt when it comes to technology. “I think technology is stupid, what we use on our phones today is pretty unnecessary…. When we use it for work of course it is very useful, but we don’t need to be on our phones 24/7. Trevino herself does not use much technology as she feels that it is bad for the eyes. “There should be a limit on technology usage because we don’t interact with each other so now would be a good time to start.” Trevino said. Some people might also be thinking like Karina Trevino,  that not only has technology ruined sleep, but it has also ruined face to face communication.