Do difficult school lives lead to teen depression?

by Lauryn Harris, Staff Writer

Social gatherings, status, wild experiences, and hard work describes the typical lives of teens in high school.

In our world today’s youth is presented with expectations and standards of the new age leading to changed state of mind. 

“All we stress about is work overload and boys,” junior Herlanda Pierre-Moise said.

In 2015 alone, an estimated three million adolescents ages 12 to 17 had been reported to have at least one major depressive episode, according to The National Institute of Mental Health.

Sharon Horton, currently a HR representative for a home help agency, said that “stress is almost like depression.”

“It’s like they are kin to each other,” Horton said. “But stress is inevitable, like a hump in the road everyone can overcome. Depression is more of an impression that restrains you from solving problems.”

Horton also believes that staying in a harmful situation that can be avoided “could lead to a road of destruction like a domino effect.”

Social studies teacher Barbara Beyke said that extracurricular activities are an “outlet” for some to relieve stress and depression.

“But for others they lead to stress (time management, more expectations, in it for the checklist and not the interest).  The more chronic the stress becomes, the more likely for sustained signs of depression,” Beyke said.