Students should refrain from engaging in public displays of affection

Seniors Emily Castillo and Josue Solis engage in PDA during B Lunch.

photo by Jarah Cotton

photo by Jarah Cotton

by Lauryn Harris, Staff Profile

There is a line separating the acceptable and the highly improper, and it doesn’t take much to cross that line in teen relationships. Couples, especially in school, should be cautious with this.

It is not uncommon to unwittingly stumble across an overly-engaged couple when walking through campus, a sight that typically leaves said observers feeling very uncomfortable. Witnessing these public displays of affection (PDA) is only natural in high school. Although it may be cute to some, most students do not appreciate the view in the slightest.

Senior Emily Castillo and boyfriend Josue Solis were elated to talk about the topic. When asked to respond on the topic, Castillo tells me that a little affection is more than acceptable, and revealed that she and her boyfriend often show small affections to one another while in public.

“Yeah, not all PDA is bad but when it becomes borderline inappropriate like groping each other then it becomes too much.” Solis said.

According to the student handbook page 33 of 45 Student Offence U. 1a., “no student shall be engaged in amorous kissing, other inordinate displays of affection.” Despite this clear prohibition of the act, however,  senior Keiara Hester claims to have seen a lot of PDA during her time at McEachern.

“Too much to me would be like rubbing on each other and caressing or full on making out.” Hester said. “I think a lot of truly committed couples don’t have to be as openly affectionate.”

Students on campus seem to not care too much about their peers getting affectionate until it gets unbearable, but teachers and staff absolutely do not want to see it. Administrator James Bishop vehemently believes that such private actions should only occur in private settings, and believes that social status is one of the main motivations behind PDA.

“Hormones, social satisfaction and the male conquest,” Bishop said. “The guys just want to show their friends ‘Hey, this girl is dating me.’”

Teens in relationships should be more cautious and attentive to their surroundings when engaging in affectionate behavior. Not everyone is fond of viewing couples in action so keeping touching as minimal as possible would be great etiquette to practice.