Teachers & students should have more input into curriculum

by Xakia Jones, Staff Writer

History is everywhere but society today has conditioned itself to ignore the vital history that has brought us to where we are today.

A majority of the information students learn in school is determined by accreditation organizations like the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS). They tell the college professors what they should be teaching their students and in return they tell high school teachers what high school students should be learning so that by the time the students reach their classroom they aren’t behind.

SACS’s power is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as one of the nation’s six accreditation organizations.

For students only learning certain aspects of a topic limits your knowledge, especially if they choose not to go beyond what’s being taught in class.

“I feel more that the state wants not for people to forget but they try to dim the issue,” junior Myles Jenkins said.

But on the other side of that stick are the teachers who are told what to teach the students. They don’t get much of a say in what they feel we should learn. I got the opinion on this from Mrs. Eve Hicks U.S history teacher

“I don’t like that the state standards are determined by an entity that the teachers don’t have any control over,” U.S. history teacher Eve Hicks said.

Teachers can’t change what we are required to learn just because they feel differently. If we were in a private school our teachers would be able to voice their opinions more on a certain subject and topic.

When you apply to a college one of the first things they want to know is if your diploma has been SACS validated.

“They certify your diploma they’re the ones that say your graduation diploma has meaning to it,” social studies teacher Todd McMath said.

Without their validation, your diploma means nothing. It will be as if you went to high school for naught.

“They’re the ones that say in order to get into college into any post-secondary post high school college out of the county these are the things you are going to have to know,” McMath said.

Many of the history teachers on McEachern’s campus have never heard of the Bhopal disaster, which was the world’s worst industrial disaster or Edgar Evans, the first ever explorer to reach the South Pole in the Terra Nova Expedition. These are just a few of the pieces of history that the world has seemed to have forgotten. Though they may not seem important they could truly be significant.

As philosopher and writer George Santayana said, “those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it.”

Our own fellow tribe member administrator, Christi Osborne agrees with this quote 100 percent.

“The only way for you to plan for your future is to know your history,” Osborne said.

You should know your history despite the fact that some of it can be painful.