Teenage unemployment will grow due to the increase of minimum wage

by Cameron Sanders, Staff writer

America’s unemployment rate is at a all time low as it has dropped to 3.9 percent , but oddly teenage une skyrocketed to 13.1 percent.

The minimum wage in America used to be as low as, $5.15 an hour, and now  has risen to $7.25 an hour. As this trend continues America’s teens will find it more rigorous than ever to obtain a job, even as simple as McDonalds. Especially since campaigns such as “The Fight for 15” rage on.

According to the Employment Policies Institute, “When minimum wage gets boosted, employers frequently cut down on hiring teens who typically fill lower priority positions.”Teen employment

will deeply be affected as, more qualified adults are filling in the lower priority positions. The inflation of minimum wage will do nothing but jeopardize teen employment and eventually  increase unemployment for all the working class in America.

Another reason for teen unemployment is employers inability to pay the teenagers. Whether it be fast food or, department stores. “Most of the things teens do at these jobs are now being automated,” said Economic teacher Matthew Lawrence. Meaning that employers would rather pay for a machine to do the work than, invest in the human capital that are teenagers.

Some people would say that teenage unemployment is so high because, majority of teens play sports. USAtoday.com conducted a survey and the results stated “70% of children leave organized sports at age 13. This information proves sports aren’t the blame for the increase in unemployment of the millennial population.

“This is a national emergency that affects all of us a weak start in the job market is bad for the economy and social mobility”, said national sales director of financial education services Julius Rodgers.

For America to continue its success economically teenagers need to be introduced into the workforce at a higher rate.