“What Not To Wear”

by DeAira McCrory, Lead Photographer

How would you react if you saw a Ku Klux Klan member wearing a pair of Air Jordan’s at a parade ?

Air Jordan’s are pop-culture shoes manifested from Michael Jordan, the African American basketball icon. Commonly known, the Ku Klux Klan or KKK is a white supremacy group; obviously, the two contradict each other. Now that isn’t the dilemma, but similarly AJC news reports a man with a KKK affiliated tattoo was spotted at a recent Confederate flag rally in Stone Mountain Georgia wearing FUBU shoes. Many  may say ” what’s the big deal”? Consider that the acronym FUBU means  “For Us By Us”, and is a brand targeted specifically towards African American people to use as a symbol of their pride is now worn on the feet of a KKK member. When asked if he was aware of the symbolism behind the brand he ignored the question all together with the response, “Your people are ruining this country.”  “Your People” is a large generalization; what complications does that address? Just like the Confederates are determined to save and uphold the meaning of the flag, the same intellection applies to the meaning behind FUBU. Where does a fashion statement end and a derailment begin? Now let’s talk about “What Not To Wear”.