To Be or Not To Be

by Tianna Smith, Publicist

High school is a popular time of romance for today’s youth, but sometimes we tend to let the people around us influence our love lives a little too much. It’s not uncommon to see a couple that spontaneously got together because of the encouragement of their peers, or seeing one person in a relationship that always seems unsure. Are these themes sounding familiar? Feelings are a raging fire that will burn you all throughout your life, so why are some people more willing to play with that fire than others?

Students in high school are already under developed in their maturity, so, are their decisions when becoming romantically involved with another too hasty? In my personal opinion a high school relationship is never truly built to last, but there are of course those rare cases of true love. For others, I’ve learned that a lot of people want to just enjoy the fun of dating in general, which isn’t completely a bad thing, but what happens when the other person isn’t in it for fun? All these factors aren’t always considered especially at this ripe age of ours.

For me, a high school relationship would be nice, even great to have someone to turn to in order to allay my worries, but I don’t see it as a necessity. If some amazing guy were to all of the sudden appear in my life I wouldn’t turn him down, I’m all for chances. Although in the case of to be or not to be, I refuse to be the hasty majority that lets others influence her decisions on something as touchy as “love”.