Behind closed doors

by Tianna Smith, Publicist

Parents are a very tricky thing to deal with, especially when it comes to trying to decipher their constantly changing moods and attitudes.

From birth, we are naturally dependent on our parents for the necessities of life such as food, clothing, and shelter. Throughout the years it is expected of us by society to slowly decrease the dependence we put on our parents and increase the independence we project onto ourselves. These ideals are not a bad thing when it comes to growing up, but can they be taken the wrong way?

The bond between parent and child should be able to withstand everything life throws at it. This connection is important and influences the way we are raised and taught throughout our lives. Kids should try harder to understand why our parents decide to raise us the way they do. Often times parents make an immeasurable amount of sacrifices that they don’t tell us about because it’s not their job to make their children feel in debt to them.

At the same time, parents should be much more understanding and open minded in order to find that “happy medium” area for both parent and child. It’s much harder to look at things from their standpoint but not completely impossible. This one change in the household could make it a little less stressful because it’s always better to be on the same page as your parents rather than taking a chance and guessing what they meant by something.

“Compromise is the best and cheapest lawyer” -Robert Louis Stevenson