Zendaya’s Barbie ordeal

by De'Aira McCrory, Lead Photographer

As of modern society, pop culture is taking a toll on the mindsets of people all around. Differing from the clothing trends, to hair, there is a giant ordeal with the new Zendaya Barbie and it’s ethnic hair features.

A limited edition Barbie was created in the likeliness of singer and actor Zendaya Coleman at last year’s Oscars. The doll was used to promote the Rock ’n Royals concert at the Hollywood Paladium on September 26. Zendaya’s hair was in the style of long faux dreadlocks, with her baby hairs enhanced. The particular appearance that Zendaya was shooting for that day was more on the edgy side, versus the soft feminine look she pulls off most of the time. With Zendaya stepping outside of the box at these awards, the limited edition Barbie chose to endorse this specific exhibition in tribute of the concert.

“When I was little, I couldn’t find a Barbie that looked like me. My, how times have changed. Thank you Barbie for this honor and for allowing me to be a part of your diversification and expansion of the definition of beauty,” Zendaya said.

Zendaya spoke up for girls around the world who also share the same hair texture as herself.

I believe that everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and some stereotypes like the traditional Barbie is partially to blame for the destruction of positive self-images of young girls today. This results in developing insecurities and not being comfortable in their own skin.

It is the twenty-first century, and it’s time for people to stop being close-minded. The world is revaluing and advancing; we have cars that can nearly drive themselves for goodness sake. So do people genuinely think that a Barbie doll was going to be a white female with long blonde hair forever?