Blame for the never ending hazing

by Felicha Laforest, Assitant Editor

Hazing still continues in many fraternities and sororities across America. Hazing is now more common in fraternity pledges than sorority pledges, and it has came to light that the universities have known about many of the various activities pledges undergo to become a member.

Nolan Burch, Tucker Hipp, and Marquise Braham all attended universities and were new pledges for a fraternity. Each of these young men are dead, due to hazing. Their parents are now speaking out against the schools, the universities were of the activities occurring in each frat.

Allegedly the schools had documented history of violent behavior, fraternity violations, and knew that there were risk to each pledge’s well-being.

Who’s to blame for the recurring hazing that has spread across America?

Personally everyone has the right to say “no,” when hazing is occurring the individual does not have to participate in any of the actions. College student are known for making bad decisions, but they are also capable of analyzing a situation and knowing what the right choice is; they may not want to choose the right choice but they know what consequences are to be ahead.

Overall if the university knows or suspects hazing it is their duty to take the necessary action in order to protect the well-being of their students.

For  example most citizens in America are old enough to know what not to do, but the government has made laws and when those very laws are broken there are punishments. Yes, college students are old enough to think for themselves, but just like adults when rules are broken consequences must follow.

The blame for the recurring hazing that has spread across America falls on the universities that do not take the steps necessary to prevent hazing.