Beauty meets Bollywood

by Briana Clinkscales, Staff Writer

With India being one of the earliest countries to see or “experience” the origins of makeup, Indian women are determined to always have on a full face no matter the occasion.

Makeup surfaced in India in the fifteenth century in the form of Mehndi or Henna tattooing, body decorating generally used at Hindu festivals and celebrations and portrayed as beauty. From this custom to the next, makeup in India has reached new heights. Bollywood Indian actresses are not only known for their choreographed dances and films, but also their glamourous makeup looks.

Makeup from Bollywood is always charismatic and very attractive, so with this look, you want to skip the sparkle and glitter that may seem important to use. Instead, go for a subtle sheen to achieve this incandescent makeup look.
First, hydrate your skin with a face moisturizer and primer to give your skin a smooth finish once you’re completely done. After you’ve applied a moisturizer and primer, you want to apply your foundation all over your face and concealer to any troubled areas , like acne and/or dark spots. Next, highlight your under eyes, down the bridge of your nose, your chin, and your t-zone with a concealer two shades lighter than your skin tone, and use a powder to set it. Then you want to use a concealer two shades darker than your skin tone to contour the hollows of your cheeks, your jawline, the sides of your nose, and temples. Next, apply a bronzer everywhere that you’ve contoured, except the hollows of your cheeks. Apply your choice of blush to the apples of your cheeks, and a highlighter to the highest points of your cheekbones. Now for the eyes, first put a piece of tape from the outer corner of your eye to the tail of your brow bone to keep your eyeshadow at an angled direction. Apply an eyeshadow primer to get the best pigmentation from  your eyeshadows. Next, find the crease of your eyes, and apply a matte orange, pale brown color to your crease to be used as a transition color. To deepen your crease, take a matte burgundy color and apply it right on top of your transition color and a little into the outer corner of your eye. Next, apply a glitter glue, and silver glitter to your eyelids without getting it in your crease. Then, take a matte black eye shadow and apply it to the outer corner of your eye and blend it in, giving your eyes a smokey effect. Take a black gel eyeliner and apply it to your upper lash line, then take a black pencil eyeliner and line your waterline; avoid creating a cateye with your eyeliner. Lastly, apply your choice of false eyelashes to take this seductive Bollywood makeup look to the next level.