10 Times society has crossed the boundary between ‘trendy’ and ‘deadly’

by Jedidah Taylor, Managing Editor

A fashion; a change or develop in a general direction. Day after day, week after week, year after year new trends swirl from nation to nation; developing and changing the way people think and act. But just because ‘everyone’ is doing it doesn’t mean you should be doing it. Afterall, we’ve been asked the cliche once in our life: “If Jimmy jumps off a cliff are you going to follow him too because he told you to?” Everyday, people are taking these fads to the extreme and nearly losing their lives in order to get an impressive appraisal from their peers, and over the centuries injuries and deaths have racked up.

1. Lash Lure

In the 1930’s a mascara went on the market which held one critical ingredient; paraphenylenediamine. A cosmetic disaster, paraphenylenediamine is a toxic dye that when coming in contact with the eye, the user must flush their eyes with water for about 20 minutes and see a doctor. This product was one the market long enough to cause several blindnesses and even a death. The blindness was not an immediate reaction to the mascara and developed from infections, ulcers, and scars in about three months time, even after terminating use.

1. Laughing Gas
  • In 1799, England young and impressionable people began inhaling
    Nitrous Oxide, also know as laughing gas, at parties. This fad has continued on and off throughout the centuries as a club drug, and in 2006 to 2012 it killed 17 people in England alone.
  1. Head Ornaments

–  The Maori, a native people in New Zealand preserve the heads of their ancestors out of respect and for reminiscence. In the 19th century the British found out about the tradition, and bidding war began for the most “delightful” collection to show off. The British demand increased so much that the Maori began killing off each other on purpose in order to sell their heads.

1. Chopines
  • Chopines, a shoe on a raised platform, used to serve as a barrier between one’s feet and the filthy water and muddy streets of 16th century Italy; later developing into a fashion trend of the wealthy, chopines could reach up to 30 inches. Users would have to use a can, and risked the common injury of falling down stairs and into the streets.
  1. Dance to Death
  • The pre-depression 1920’s dance marathons were all the rage, kids would dance for hours on end and sometimes weeks as proof of endurance. Many would literally dance themselves to death, leading to the band of such hosted events across the U.S.
  1. Muslin Epidemic
  • Muslin, a  thin cotton fabric designed for hot days in India, was not made for Europe’s cold wet winters; however, it was the fabric of choice for the elegant, prestigious ladies. The too thin fabric led to a pneumonia breakout across the continent in 1803 know as the Muslin Epidemic.
  1. Extreme Selfies
  • Typically taken with a smartphone or webcam, a selfie is picture one takes of oneself. In the course of any given week, “selfie” is mentioned in 365,000 Facebook posts and 150,000 tweets. Since 2014, 49 people have died from attempting to take a selfie of themselves; taking a picture while in an extreme environment. Lots of these extreme selfies include locations like the top of skyscrapers, cliffs, trains, railroads, and posing with guns.
  1. Dapper Death
  • The detachable collar was a tightly fitting collar worn at the top of the neck — highly fashionable for men in the 19th century. These collars were so stiff and tightly worn that they cut off blood circulation, cause abscesses to the brain, asphyxia, swelling to the neck, and indigestion. These collars were come to known as “Father Killers.”
  1. Tanning Beds
  • Introduced in the 70’s, tanning beds have become a $3 billion  industry. The FDA cautions that the UV lights used in the tanning beds increase the chances of melanoma, the deadliest skin cancer, by 75 percent.
  1. Car Surfing
  • Car Surfing involves riding outside a moving car most commonly by way of skateboard, bicycle, sled, or box car. This trend began in the 1980’s , and had caused 59 reported head-injury deaths between 1990 and 2008.