Nude lips: The minimalist trend

by Briana Clinkscales, Staff Writer

Nude lips are the beauty style statement of our time. They’ve officially transcended from a trend into a new classic. Originally applied to downplay the rest of the face when a dramatic smoky eye, lengthy lashes or a major blush moment took center stage, they’ve now officially stolen the spotlight. Whether you’re fair and blond, or have a medium complexion, the look is universally flattering.

The world has taken a trend to the next level with nude lipstick. “Nude” may imply bare lips, but mastering this trend all comes down to choosing the right nude shade for your lips. If you’re of a fair skin tone, you want to look for light, peachy nudes, to add warmth to your skin without accentuating ruddiness. If you have olive undertones or of a medium skin tone, go for rosey shades to make your skin glow. If you’re of a darker skin tone, go for golden bronze, caramel nudes to add dimension to darker lips.

The first step to achieving this nude trend, is to exfoliate your lips using a lip scrub; a DIY version of a lip scrub can be sugar and olive oil. Next, apply a lip liner the same color as your lips all over your lips to add fullness. Then, take a lip liner two shades darker than your nude lipstick and line the outer region of your lips to add dimension. Lastly, apply your nude color all over your lips and blend until your desired look is reached.

A nude lip is perfect for just about every occasion. From a formal affair to a meeting at the office to girls’ night out, this lip color will make you look instantly put together — in a very subtle way.