Art team selected as one of the top 50 finalists for Vans 2016 Custom Culture Competition

Danielle Mege

Back to Article
Back to Article

photo by Danielle Mege

photo by Danielle Mege

photo by Danielle Mege

by Briana Clinkscales, Staff Writer

Unlike the rest of the McEachern High School student body, 11 student artists spent their spring break designing shoes for the Vans Custom Culture competition.

According to Vans, Vans Custom Culture was created to inspire and empower high school students to embrace their creativity through art and design and to bring attention to diminishing arts education budgets. Vans believes everyone should be empowered to express themselves creatively and should be given the tools to do so. Custom Culture is a national high school customization competition using blank Vans shoes to be customized around specific themes. Once a school’s designs are completed, they go through a voting process to narrow down their top 50 entries from the 3,000 that applied. Then, it’s up to the school and classmates to garner votes from the public to choose their top 5 that go on to compete in the final event. Schools in the top 5 are flown to New York City to celebrate their artwork and have noted judges votes on the grand prize winning submission, worth $50,000.

“Of course I’m biased because I think my students are the best, and I do think our shoes are better than other schools and our designs are cooler,” art teacher Danielle Mege said. “But there were schools whose designs made my mouth drop because they looked like a professional artist spent months on them.”

McEachern was chosen on April 25 as one of the top 50 schools for the Vans Custom Culture Competition. All of the hard work that they put in during spring break is paying off. They had been anticipating the moment when the good news would be received, so when they got the email, immediate excitement radiated from the art room throughout the school.

“Since Ms. Mege has been my art teacher, I’ve expanded so much,” senior Alexus Martinez said. “We do a lot more outside projects like the Vans custom Culture competition.”

Wednesday, April 27 at 8 a.m., public voting will open at vans.com/customculture. This is the time to promote all of the hard work and effort to the McEachern student body, peers, friends, family, and community. Get the word out so our school will advance to the Final Event in Los Angeles, CA June 6-9.