The student news site of McEachern High School in Powder Springs, Georgia

The Tribal Times

Students leave the college tradition and find new pathways

by Amanda Ellsworth, Staff Writer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.

Email This Story

“I think what scares me is the debt that comes with college.” senior Brandon Wilson said. “I don’t know if I want to do something for two to four years without getting paid for it. I eventually want to open my own boutique and I’m not sure that college will help me accomplish my dream.”

During senior’s last semester of high school, college acceptance letters are being delivered and students are deciding where they will spend the next four years furthering their education.

Some students have other plans in mind, whether it means heading straight into the workforce, taking a year off, or joining the military, there are graduates that have decided that a four year college is not for them.

“I definitely don’t think that college is for everyone, and in certain cases it may not be their key to success, but it does provide you many great resources and tools to prosper.” administrator Krystal Wattley said.

To society, college is accepted as a social norm and students that take a different route to profit are sometimes looked down upon. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, In October 2015, 69.2 percent of 2015 high school graduates were enrolled in colleges or universities. Leaving 30.8 percent of high school graduates unaccounted for.

“I’ve taken Auto Mechanics all four years of high school, my first two years I wasn’t sure how far I would go, but by my junior year, my heart was in it,”senior Christopher Clark said. “I plan to enlist in the Air Force after high school and become an airplane mechanic.”

There are many wealthy celebrities that serve as role models to today’s youth. When you think of someone who has a net worth of over $20 billion, you imagine that their education was intense and extensive, but in some cases they don’t possess a high school diploma.

Larry Ellison, former CEO of Oracle dropped out of two colleges and has a current net worth at $54 billion for building databases for the CIA and founded Software Development Laboratories with two partners in 1977.

“You have to figure out what you can do in order to succeed,” math teacher Jessica Dawson said. “Not every wealthy person went to college and many don’t obtain degrees themselves.”

Some students have connections that will give them a foot in the door to their career. “My uncle owns an electrical company and I want to go ahead and get my license.” senior Elijah Cross said. I thought it’d be a better plan to get hands on training and experience than going to college.”

No matter what a student decides to do, accomplishing achievements is up to the individual; college can either be a stepping stone or a road block.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Leave a Comment

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial
error: Content is protected !!
The student news site of McEachern High School in Powder Springs, Georgia
Students leave the college tradition and find new pathways