Seniors trade clubs for careers

by Alexis Moreno, Staff Writer

Every year, high school seniors leave the clubs dearest to them, moving on to their next adventure. But their was not put to a waste.

With the time spent in clubs seniors are groomed into the path they want to follow for their future.

“In the four years that I’ve been in chorus at McEachern, I have learned that music is universal,” senior Amani Jones said. “Everybody has some type of music that connects us. It’s a beautiful craft and I’m glad I’m choosing to continue with it.”

She plans on taking her knowledge further and majoring in music education with a performing arts scholarship to Reinhardt University, and participating in their choral program.

Senior Stephen Thelusme has been in the electrical sub-unit of the First Robotics team at McEachern for three years.

“I’m going to continue my electrical career at Kennesaw State University with their robotics program, and I plan on studying to be an electrical engineer,” Thelusme said.

The different clubs and organizations help with the different aspects of careers that appeal to students.

“Clubs allow students to see how an organization should function regularly, and how leaders affect them,” administrator Jim Bishop said.

Senior Jasmine Smith is going to college for a career in software architecture. With three years in the Video Gamers club she feels she has expanded her knowledge on software programming, which has helped her shape her career.

“I put together a Game Development team through video gamers club, so I definitely learned some new things in design and programming,” Smith said.

Whether seniors follow the path their clubs paved for them, or find something new in college, clubs help students to learn how to act in an environment other than that of a classroom.

“The idea behind being in a club is that students are able to learn different interests and then focus on those interests so that they can go to college and make better choices as to who they want to be and what they want to do,”  literature teacher Laurette Brown said. “ You don’t know what you want to do until you try different things, and clubs allow you to do that.”