Three McEachern artists place in Congressional District Art Competition

Back to Article
Back to Article

photo by Cobbcast

photo by Cobbcast

photo by Cobbcast

by Cobbcast, Cobb County School District

Congressman David Scott named three McEachern High student artists as winners of his 14th annual Congressional Art Competition during a special presentation at the Douglas County Courthouse.

Junior Francisco Vazquez was awarded first place for his work “I Love Oranges.” As the winner, Vazquez’s work will be displayed in the U.S. Capitol for one year along with the first place artwork from other congressional districts around the U.S.  He also won a $12,000 scholarship from the Savannah College of Art; a $12,000 scholarship from the Art Institute of Atlanta; a $1,500 scholarship to the college of his choice; and round-trip airfare for two from Southwest Airlines to the ribbon-cutting ceremony in Washington, D.C.

“I am so proud of the amazing talent displayed by our students this year,” said Congressman Scott. “Congratulations to our winners and all of the students who participated in the competition.”

The Art Institute of Atlanta also awarded a $3,500 scholarship to third place winner senior Reanna Maiden.  Maiden won for her art “Women in the Mirror,” and she also received a $500 summer seminar scholarship from the Savannah College of Art and Design. Her third place artwork will hang in the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport’s Youth Art Gallery for one year.

Senior Makenzie Hooks took fifth place for “The Dancer” and received a $250 scholarship.

The art competition included 58 student submissions from Clayton, Cobb, Douglas, Fayette, South Fulton, and Henry counties.

To date, Congressman Scott has awarded 50 scholarships worth more than $430,000 to local student artists.  Scholarship and award sponsors this year include: the Art Institute of Atlanta; Savannah College of Art and Design; AT&T; Chick-Fil-A; Georgia Pacific Foundation; Georgia Power; GreyStone Power; and Six Flags Over Georgia. These companies provided scholarships for the colleges of the top winners’ choice, including: $1,500 for first place, $1,000 for second place, $750 for third place, $500 for fourth place, and $250 for fifth place.