Seniors face uncertain future as they head to college

by Luysa Gonzalez, Staff Writer

According to a study held by the University of South Florida in 1995, 65 percent of students entering college haven’t chosen their major. 40 percent of those students change their major at least three times before graduating.

“Nothing interests me, I don’t want to end up changing majors six times throughout college because I was uncertain of what I wanted to major in,” senior Nate Saylors said.

These students change their majors due to having them make a choice when they uncertain, leading them to choosing a major they later on find they aren’t content with. This in turn makes college tuition greater.

“I’m already going to be paying out-of-state tuition by going to Jacksonville State in Alabama.” senior Kia Crawley said. “I don’t want to increase the expenses by not being able to decide on a major.”

Students who haven’t decided on a major can always proceed to begin their college education by satisfying their core requirements until they can decide on their major. This way they can get ahead with their core subjects and continue to search until they’ve found a major that they think is best for them.

If you were to change your major however, the best time would be during freshman year of college. Freshman year classes tend to be prerequisite classes for most majors.

“If you can’t find a major you like at the moment it’s fine, just do research on different majors before choosing.” senior Reanna Maiden said. “But don’t pick something just because you feel pressured to, just work on your requisite classes until you figure it out.”