Dealing with the passing of a loved one

by Ayeilie Mel, Staff Writer

We lose materialistic things all the time. These losses may cause anger, sadness, and even irritation. Still these emotions do not compare with those felt when losing a human life.

The sun was definitely out Friday, with its rays providing blistering hot air. When you looked around campus sweat trickled down faces, and students raced to vending machines and water fountains to fill their parched mouth.

As I was in line to purchase myself a drink, a young man in front of me was buying his beverage. As he was putting in his last quarter it rolled and vanished under the machine. Many words left his mouth to express his frustration but as time passed he got over it and walked away.

Losing a human life however is life-shattering. As teenagers it isn’t always easy to express how we truly feel deep within but keeping emotions balled up has been proven to make situations worse. We not only feel anger but also guilt, depression, and isolation.

What many don’t understand is that grieving is not about getting over a particular person and their life, but instead getting past it. Learning a way to live with it.

Make sure to admit your emotions, find someone to talk to, find a positive way to express your grief, and take your time.

R.I.P. Jaira