Math teacher collaborates with media specialist on algebra project

photo by Alexis Moreno
Media specialist Linda Savage helps students think of survey ideas that combine public opinions towards presidential candidates and attitudes on the issue. According to Lieu and Savage their goal is to be able to have the students work in the cloud and to be able to collaborate. “the Students were very inexperienced in using the technology we provided for them, i wish every class did something like this project to give them the beginning knowledge of using the technology, ” Savage said.

by Logann Houston and Alexis Moreno

Math teacher Michelle Lieu has created the Election Project, which combines math and literature in her Accelerated Algebra I class. Students create surveys to gain  public opinions toward the presidential candidates and attitudes on political issues.

“The purpose of this project is for the students to figure out how to make surveys and charts, while educating students on the election process,” Lieu said.

Office 365 and Microsoft Office are the approved Cobb County classroom collaboration website. Students use Microsoft Office and Office 365, to create charts from survey information. Once surveys were completed as a pair students submitted their surveys online via email, Office 365, and Google Docs.

“We wanted them to work in the Cloud to collaborate,” media center specialist Linda Savage said. Savage served as the facilitator for the Microsoft 365 package, According to Savage she observed that students need more basic computer skills classes. She helped the students make charts and surveys on Office 365 and Microsoft Forms. ”Every class should do a project like this,” Savage said.

In making their surveys, students create interview questions, and ask no more than fifteen questions to collect data. Survey topics include minimum wage,immigration, and school uniforms.

“I think that any time you do something that is cross curricular it is beneficial because it provides relevance to what the students are learning, administrator Krystal Wattley said. ”The fact that she is connecting their lesson with a real life situation; the kids will never forget that.” According to geometry administrator Alvin Thomas, today’s math is not just about solving problems so fusing literacy into math and having a math teacher work with the media specialist is a very unique teaching tactic.  

As Lieu is educating her students on the upcoming election and controversial issues, the assignment still connects to their algebra curriculum. Statistics is apart of their unit, instead of just giving them the data to create charts to get stats on that data like mean, median, and mode, they created their own data. According to Lieu, having her students make their own charts is more impactful because they get a hands-on experience of collecting data.

After perfecting their charts and frequency tables, the students present their information through an unbiased article incorporating their charts and survey data.

“I think this project will help me in my career in the future,I aspire to be a surgeon,” freshman Alyssa Rojas said.” “This will help me have the ability to read charts and create charts from data that might be given to me about a procedure.”