• Dec. 15: Final Exams begin

• Dec. 7: Holiday Concert from 7-9pm in the PAC

The science behind the Electoral College

by Alexis Moreno, Staff writer

Before truly getting into what the electoral college is, let me explain how it is a process; not a place. It is simply a way to make voting easier for the government.

When the constitution was made the founders  purposely made the constitution a non-purely democratic system.

The college is made up of 538 electors that make their choice because of the popular vote of the county or state that they represent. However, that wasn’t how it was done in the beginning.

At first the electoral college was made because of the lack of education during that time period; only rich white people were educated so the founders decided that there should be a buffer. One where if the electoral college thought that voters weren’t smart enough to make a good decision then electoral college would take care of it, meaning if the popular vote was for someone malicious or the government didn’t want them, then the electoral college would send their vote without looking to the people’s vote.

This brings up a lot of talk during the elections and has during the latest election between president-elect Donald Trump and candidate Hillary Clinton.

“This might be the spark that lights up the discussion to reform the electoral college,” US history teacher Eve Hicks said.

But it’s not that simple; the founders made it extremely difficult to change the constitution. First, congress has to propose an amendment which has to be opposed by less than one third of the house. So, the only way the people can change the constitution is if we vote for the members in congress in which they will propose the amendments for us.

Each state has a fixed amount of electors which all add up to 538, however, the president to get to 270 first during the election will win.

The electoral college is separated by the republicans and democrats, nonetheless, it really just comes down to that and who you vote for. If you vote republican, you’re elector will vote republican.