Mechansville police search for serial rapist demonstrates police interest in public welfare

Line+Graph+depicts+the+amount+of+rape+cases+reported+in+the+greater-Atlanta+area+per+year.+Illustrates+the+effectiveness+of+police+within+this+area%2C+as+they+have+worked+to+induce+the+significant+decline+of+rape+cases+in+the+last+decade.+
Line Graph depicts the amount of rape cases reported in the greater-Atlanta area per year. Illustrates the effectiveness of police within this area, as they have worked to induce the significant decline of rape cases in the last decade.

photo by Jarah Cotton

photo by Jarah Cotton

by Jarah Cotton, Staff Writer

The Atlanta Police Department’s Special Victims Unit (SVU) is currently involved in an intense investigation, scouring Mechansville, GA for an unidentified serial sexual predator. Officers reportedly went door to door presenting a sketch of the believed perpetrator in hopes of gaining public assistance by way of viable information or accurate identification.

The unidentified subject has sexually assaulted three women and one minor in the latter months of 2016 and is suspected to be responsible for 2 other assaults this month.

SVU’s active commander, Lt. Andrea Webster, spoke to FOX 5 News reporters during their most recent investigation in the Mechansville community, providing crucial information regarding the subjects criminal profile.

“All of the victims were alone. He operates while they are outside..which means he is bold and very violent,” Webster told Fox 5 News.

Webster stressed the importance of community involvement. The police force is in dire need of public informants in order for them to successfully locate and apprehend the subject. Additionally, the public is needed to promote community awareness, particularly to help warn young women about their imminent danger.

“We need the public’s help. We need tips and we need people to be vigilant—looking up and around at their surroundings—not with their heads buried in their cell phones,” Webster told Fox 5 News.

According to the Georgia Statutes, rape is defined as “A person commits the offense of rape when he has carnal knowledge of (1) A female forcibly and against her will; or (2) A female who is less than ten years of age,” and can be penalized by either death, life in prison without parole, or a minimum sentence of 25 years in prison accompanied by a lifetime of parole.

The knowledge that such a dangerous individual is currently at large is disconcerting of all members of the Mechansville community and those surrounding it. It is, however, comforting to know that the police force is expending a lot of energy and resources as they work to apprehend the subject.

In a time when there is a significant amount of animosity towards police officers, it is important for people to recognize cases like this one, where it is abundantly clear that the officers have a vested interest in protecting the community. We are constantly made aware of cases in which paint the police force in a negative light. Here, we have an example of the opposite effect, in which police officers work tirelessly to keep civilians residing within their community safe.

Their work is appreciated.