President promotes unfair stigma against immigrants

Map illustrates the thousands of illegal immigrants residing in each state as of 2014, according to the Pew Research Center.

photo by Jarah Cotton

photo by Jarah Cotton

by Jarah Cotton, Staff Writer

A portion of President Donald Trump’s first executive order states that all undocumented immigrants arrested for involvement in a criminal offense must be deported immediately; regardless of the severity of the crime committed.

His order inspired his supporters to research how often immigrant criminal activity occurred, in efforts to justify his order against the immediate backlash it received. One such supporter, Gwinnett County sheriff Butch Conway, expressed his opinions on immigrant criminality during an interview with Fox 5 News.

“We shouldn’t deal with them a second time or a third time,” Conway said, “Or allow them a chance to hurt a citizen.”
It is true that illegitimate immigrants live in direct violation of United States legislation due to their failure to complete the immigration visa process. This is a valid concern, as it is an evidence of the concerning simplicity of breaching our nation’s security. People are able to bypass our laws and regulations without significant repercussions.

However, an extremist stance against immigrants is not the correct response to this issue. It is imperative that we, as a nation, do not judge such a large group of people uniformly. Every person’s story is different, and they come from unique situations. Their distinctions need to be considered in both the formulation of opinions and the establishment of national policies.

In a recent article by Fox 5 News headlined “Jail records reveal immigrants not deported after minor crimes later commit worse ones,” police officials told the story of Jose Alfaro-Contraras, a native of El Salvador, who is presently being charged with the aggravated robbery of a check-cashing store in Gwinnett county. Alfaro-Contraras previously served jail time for shoplifting in the Gwinett county jail.

Fox 5 News used Alfaro-Contaras’ situation to illustrate the danger of the dismissal of the petty crimes of immigrants. They are of the opinion that immigrants should be immediately deported after their first offense, regardless of its severity.

This is a local example of prominent legal organizations promoting a stigma against an entire people, due to the wrongdoings of a few individuals.

This is a reflection of a national issue. Americans have recognized that many illegal immigrants are being allowed to take advantage of their resources and opportunities, but allow their anger at this fact to blind them from the compassion on which this country was built on.

Every person should be appraised as an individual. Others crimes should not affect how they are viewed.