Change in presidential administration sparks concerns about cafeteria nutrition

by Carnell Lyon, Staff Writer

With the start of a new presidential administration, the question a few high school students are asking is how cafeteria food will be affected.

Michelle Obama’s food plan, the Healthy Hunger-Free Kids Act, was installed on Dec. 13, 2010 as a means to help improve the overall health of American children. This piece of legislation works in accordance with the first lady’s Let’s Move Act to provide schoolchildren with nutritionally balanced whole grain meals and a minimum of one hour of exercise.

With our new president in office, what happens now? “No plan has been made yet,” Cobb County floating manager Kim Tucci said. Obama’s plan to keep children safe from a lifetime of sedentary and obesity remains intact, so instead it was a question of how the cafeteria functions under it.

All food that comes into the school and into our bellies must meet specific qualifications under both the plan and USDA regulations. “It’s all certified and we do get some locally grown vegetables and fruits. We do try to support some of the farmers in Georgia, also we try to advertise some of the vegetables and fruits, for example cauliflower last month and mixed carrots this month,” Tucci said. Whilst aiding the prevention of a lifetime of lethargy, the food plan works to support local agrarian businesses and industries.

The constituents of the act may remain the same but school food is still changing. “We do try to have different items. We have Try-It days and Try-It days are just to see whether the item will make it into the school or not.”  Tucci said. Despite the unchanged regulations, new items are added to the menu every month and surveys are given to the student body to determine which item stays and which one goes; reciprocally, the students stay in tune with the food and the cafeteria stays in tune with students.