Administrators shadow students on campus

by Logann Houston, Staff Writer

School leaders get together to walk in the shoes of students and take action at their school in the national shadow a student’s challenge.

The challenge began March fourteenth and ended March twenty fourth. The administrators had a designated day to shadow a student and learn how students function around school. Their day consisted of following their student to classes , eating lunch with them and possibly riding the bus home with their student.

“We sometimes overlook what it takes to be a student at Mceachern so this challenge is a great way for us to get a feeling of what it’s like,”Administrator Alvin Thomas said. “It also provides an opportunity to communicate about school life, we focus most on grades and curriculum we never really talk about what the student experience is like, Thomas said. According to Thomas in the end the school leaders should walk away with some good ideas on how to make the student experience better.

“The most important insight I gained from the day was that school is really what a student makes of it,” Chair of English department, Anita Burdell said. This national challenge allowed the administrators and chair holders to get an inside view of what it’s like to be a student on their campus. It opened their eyes to the different difficulties a student might have and also the fun a student may have at school. The experience affected the way the school leaders went about teaching their students.  According to Fairbanks, Burdell stated that she will be changing her overall approach in her class setting due to her witnessing how stressful and time consuming school can be.

Students being shadowed learned a lot from the experience as well. ”It was a positive experience for the teachers to get to know what it’s like to be a student here and I enjoyed letting Mrs. Burdell into my life,”Junior Michael Fairbanks said.

McEachern has participated in the shadow a student challenge for the first time this year. The shadow a student challenge is part of an initiative called School Retool, a collaboration between the Stanford d. School and IDEO, with support from the William and Flora Hewlett  Foundation. The challenge is open to all school leaders at any schools in the world.

Last year 1,625 school leaders signed up in fifty states and twenty six countries. The purpose of this challenge is to amplify the practice of shadowing, create a community of leaders driven to make change in their schools, and to encourage them to take action into deeper levels of learning.