McEachern’s Maker Space will act as a creative outlet for STEM students and young artists

The+Maker+Space+club+plans+on+expanding+its+resources+and+members+each+year.+The+grant+written+by+Jacob+Larson+and+Kyle+Rast+gives+the+club+5%2C000+dollars+every+year+to+keep+the+space+neat+and+fix+any+issues+that+may+occur.+Giving+each+student+a+beautiful+place+to+make+projects+and+play+with+different+gadgets+while+learning+CAD+design%2C+how+to+Vector+design%2C+the+proper+safety+tactics+when+using+tools%2C+how+to+3D+print%2C+or+how+to+use+a+soldering+iron.+
The Maker Space club plans on expanding its resources and members each year. The grant written by Jacob Larson and Kyle Rast gives the club 5,000 dollars every year to keep the space neat and fix any issues that may occur. Giving each student a beautiful place to make projects and play with different gadgets while learning CAD design, how to Vector design, the proper safety tactics when using tools, how to 3D print, or how to use a soldering iron.

by Carnell Lyon, Staff Writer

Through a grant written by seniors Kyle Rast and Jacob Larson, the McEachern Maker Space was officially created earlier this year. It will give the opportunity for STEM-loving and engineering-savvy students to express themselves and bring their techy ideas into reality.

A maker space is a collaborative work zone where individuals share resources, data, and other forms of valuable information; for networking, building, and sharing projects. Maker spaces are a vital component to making technological and scientific developments (more broadly STEM), for these fields may require more than one individual to peer deeper into a set of data.

The Maker Space at our school will as a creative outlet for those young builders, designers, and artists here at our school. And with the teamwork aspect of the Maker Space, amazing collaborative projects could come from the program as well. Junior Benjamin Uranga has his reasons for why he joined the Maker Space. “I’m interested in creating things and this is a very rare opportunity,” Benjamin said.

“Lack of materials, budget, time. The Maker Space can probably help by offering things that we don’t have due to cost or availability,” junior Kiara Daniel said. What many creative students at McEachern are limited by, are their resources: with the Maker Space this problem will be a thing of the past. Endowed with a 3-D Printer, a high power laser cutter, and some of the highest quality resources for these talented minds, there are almost zero limitations to what students can make.

Beyond the classroom, teachers are taking are looking for opportunities to use the Maker Space to improve the classroom learning environment and get the students more involved in their learning.

“It’s an opportunity for another learning environment. Perfectly set up to work on projects, build, and incorporate more STEM activities,” physics teacher Beth Amacher said. It offers an opportunity for the development and student’s learning and the expansion of the learning environment, but also the betterment of school’s STEM program (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics). “It allows students to make connections between different disciplines.”

From the perspective of administrator Krystal Wattley, who is an active part of the STEM program, she believes that the Maker Space will be an incredible benefit to the classroom as well. “I believe that it will be a huge improvement and will only enhance the STEM program. Having the Maker Space will allow students to experience engineering practices in a classroom setting,” administrator Krystal Wattley said.

If interested, Maker Space Club meetings take place every week in Maker Space area located in the back of the media center. Talk to anyone of the certified media specialists for more information on the club.

The Maker Space is a chance for new discoveries, a chance for young minds to blossom, and a chance make their dreams a reality.