Media Specialists implement ways to prevent theft

Merchandise - One of the most common instances of theft involvew books, and are nearly impossible to detect. Often times people simply walk out of the library with the material without properly checking it out, and the item is never returned.

photo by Jarah Cotton

photo by Jarah Cotton

by Jarah Cotton, Staff Writer

Libraries are designed to make literary devices available to the general public, but it is this well-meaning availability that makes library theft easier.

Public libraries are methodically disorganized. The books that they hold do have a specific place, but with the rapid borrowing and return of the goods, along with civilian interaction with books while they are on shelves, the libraries easily become disorganized.

This inevitable disorganization makes it easier for things to be stolen because it makes it harder for librarians to notice that things are missing.

“Sometimes people will look up a book title and it won’t be where it belongs.” Media Specialist Linda Savage said. “We don’t know whether or not it has been stolen or just misplaced, so theft is very hard to track.”

The South Cobb Regional library has a similar issue, but they have reportedly caught thieves red-handed in the past. Being caught stealing from the premises can result in permanent banishment from the library and faculty will report incidents to the local police.

The Cobb library system is in the process of organizing the institution of a Radio Frequency Identification security system in order to mitigate theft. This system uses electromagnets to identify items, and is able to scan multiple items at once to make sure that they have been properly checked out.

The library staff hopes that this will help them eliminate their theft issue.

“The fact that the system can scan multiple books at once should make us less susceptible to theft,” Regional Manager Roxanne Magaw said.

The consequences of stealing from McEachern’s media center are not as severe as banishment and legal prosecution, but they still have the intended effect.

Those who are caught stealing from the library or who misplace borrowed materials are required to pay for the lost property. If students fail to make these payments, they are not allowed to walk across the stage.

Though it has no impact on whether or not students actually receive their diplomas, the threat of not being able to walk is one that students take very seriously.

“Walking across that stage is very important and is a way of showing that you made it,” senior Rachel Okoro said. “It’s like your walking into the next stage of your life.”