DeKalb County sheriff charged with indecency and obstruction

Justice - A recent study published by the United States Department of Justice revealed that active police officers are arrested approximately 1,000 times per year. The most common charges raised against these officers are simple assault, drunk driving, aggravated assault, and sexual assault.

by Jarah Cotton, Staff Writer

Current DeKalb County sheriff Jeffery Mann was arrested and charged with indecency on May 6, 2017 after an Atlanta police officer witnessed him exposing his genitals in Piedmont city park.

Mann allegedly ran from the officer after the officer identified himself, and was only taken into custody after he and the officer were engaged in a quarter-mile foot chase.

Mann is also being charged with obstruction of an officer, but was let go from the Atlanta City jail on bond. All of the charges being held against Mann are misdemeanors.

The DeKalb police department released a statement regarding the incident, saying “DeKalb County Sheriff Jeffrey L. Mann was arrested last night, May 6, 2017, by the City of Atlanta Police Department on charges of indecency and obstruction. He is working with City of Atlanta to clear these charges.”

The arresting officer’s report indicates that the incident occurred late at night, in a section of Piedmont park known for being the sight of various sexually promiscuous acts.

The report states that Mann immediately fled on foot when the officer shone his flashlight on him, and that the foot chase occurred primarily along 10th Street, which borders the park.

Upon his capture, Mann requested that the arresting officer grant him permission to go to his car and retrieve identification, but the request was denied for safety reasons, according to the police report.

Though it is disappointing that an individual that was elected to enforce the laws of a county was caught, in another jurisdiction, committing such a blatant crime, it is comforting know that he is being held accountable just as any other civilian would.

National news agencies often portray officers as people considered exempt from the law, seeing such a prominent and powerful police officer be treated as a common criminal helps to eradicate this misconception.

Mann was not awarded any special allowances, he was not able to go retrieve identification nor was he treated more gently than any other would have.

Seeing a corrupt officer punished helps to reassure civilians of the fairness of the legal system. There is so much evidence of dishonesty and inequality among police officers, as they show favoritism to certain individuals. Hearing the story of an officer who follows the correct procedure without taking anything but the man’s illegal actions into account restore’s the public’s confidence.