Georgia governor broadens scope of investigation into DeKalb sheriff

by Mark Niesse, AJC

Gov. Nathan Deal signed a revised executive order Tuesday that calls for an investigation of DeKalb County Sheriff Jeff Mann, who was arrested for allegedly exposing himself in a park and running from police.

Deal’s new order addresses concerns raised by Mann’s attorney, who said last week the alleged city ordinance violations by Mann don’t amount to criminal charges cited as the governor’s justification for appointing an investigative committee.

The updated executive order broadens the investigative committee’s scope to include other purposes allowed by state law. Besides criminal charges, the committee will also look into alleged misconduct in office or alleged incapacity to perform the functions of office.

The committee must report its findings within 30 days and, based on its findings, Mann could be suspended for up to 90 days. Deal appointed Attorney General Chris Carr, Newton County Sheriff Ezell Brown and Peach County Sheriff Terry Deese to the committee.

Mann apologized Friday for bringing an “unfavorable light” on the county, and he previously characterized his arrest as a misunderstanding.

He’s accused of public indecency and obstruction violations as a result of his arrest at Piedmont Park on May 6.